Firm History

100 Years of Excellence!

Hancock Askew & Co., LLP has been helping clients succeed for 100 years!

The Beginning…

In 1910, Charles Neville left the electric industry to start his own accounting and auditing firm named The Charles Neville Audit Co. His office was located in the Savannah Bank and Trust Building at 109 Gwinnett Street in Savannah, Georgia. Neville changed the name of the firm to Charles Neville & Co. in 1914.

Mack H. Barnes, Sr. and J. T. McIver joined the firm as partners in 1918, changing the name of the firm to Neville, McIver, Barnes & Co. The firm operated under this name until Neville and McIver retired from the firm in 1933.

…Askew’s Path…

Barnes renamed the firm M. H. Barnes & Co. in 1934 and moved the firm to 15 Drayton Street in 1938. That same year, Walter C. Askew, Jr. came to work for Barnes as an accountant. Askew was offered a position as partner in 1949, along with William A. Mills. The firm became Barnes, Askew, Mills & Co. and operated under that name until 1961. During that time, the office was moved to 24 Drayton Street and Walter C. Askew, III came to work for his father.

…Hancock’s Path…

In 1945, Donald F. Stewart began his own accounting firm on Bay Street named Donald Stewart, CPA. The name was changed to Stewart & Hancock, CPA’s when James Hancock, Jr. joined the firm as a partner in 1956. Irwin Mazo started working there that same year and became a partner in 1957 after Stewart retired. The firm was renamed as Hancock, Mazo & Co. and operated under that name until 1965.

…Hancock & Askew Join…

Askew, III joined with Hancock and Mazo in 1966 to form Hancock, Mazo & Askew, CPA’s. After the offices at Factors Walk burned in 1973, the firm was moved to 570 E. York Street and J. Harry Haslam, Jr, joined the firm. The name was changed one final time to Hancock Askew & Co., LLP in 1981 after Mazo left the firm. In 1986 J. Harry Haslam, Jr. was promoted to Managing Partner and was succeeded as Managing Partner in 2011 by Michael T. McCarthy.

…Brand New Facility…

In August 2005, Hancock Askew & Co., LLP moved to the firm’s newly constructed facility located at 100 Riverview Drive. The 3-story building and surrounding land provide the prestigious accounting firm with plenty of room for continued growth in the future.

Hancock Askew opened an office in Atlanta, Georgia in 2008. In November 2011, the Atlanta office merged with the CPA firm of Jackson, Reece and Scott, PC. As result of the merger, the Atlanta office of Hancock Askew expanded to 20 professionals and was able to provide a full offering of services. The Atlanta office relocated to its current location at 275 Scientific Drive, Suite 2500 in Norcross, Georgia.  (Read more…)

In 2016, Hancock Askew announced the official opening of its new office in Coral Gables, Florida. The expansion accompanied the firm’s recognition of the need to provide additional infrastructure for its growing client base. As part of Hancock Askew’s strategic plan, there has been a need to develop a presence in additional states to continue to service the region.  The expansion into Miami also provides us with the opportunity to gain access to a growing international market. (Read more…)